Thursday, August 28, 2008

Delayed, Delayed, and Delayed Some More

As most of you know, there has been issues with Derek's visa getting to him. What we've been told is that Peru changed Presidents and documentation requirements for the visa's also changed. He submitted his paperwork after the requirements where changed, but before anyone was notified. We've heard several different numbers but we think he is about one of 8 missionaries having this issue. All other missionaries going to Peru left after their 3rd week in the Provo MTC. For us (his family) it has been disappointing and frustrating at times. Luckily, I think Derek has the "I will go, I will do" attitude. He seems to be able to go with the flow. Here are a pieces of his letters that talks about the delays.
July 9, 2008
"Next Wednesday we fly out, YEAH. Friday we got our flight plan. We fly out the 16th at 1:10 we go to Dallas. Leave Dallas at 6:50 to Miami, leave Miami at 11:45 p.m. and get to Peru at 4:15 in the morning. That is a lot of flying but I do get to call home I am sure. There are 9 of us flying to Peru that day."
July 16, 2008
"I don't know if you got my message on the phone Monday, I will try and call you again today. My visa is delayed so hopefully it will come and I will leave next week."
July 23, 2008
"Sorry to get your hopes up, this morning we went to the temple, and so we didn't do emails this morning. I am still here in Provo, our visas haven't come yet.. . . I am a little bummed that I am not gone yet but I am enjoying myself, I am just ready to be in Peru."
July 30, 2008
"I guess the reason we were delayed was there was a document problem or something and last Friday they got it taken care of so hopefully some time soon they will send us out. I think I will be in the CCM in Peru for the remainder of the 9 weeks."
August 20, 2008
"The temple was excellent like always, today was the last time that I will be able to go with my district. They are leaving me next week. Some are leaving Monday and some are leaving on Wednesday. They are way excited. I have not really heard a lot about my visa. I am just waiting to hear. I know that you want me to go there everyday but I don't really see the point. Sorry. Most the time we just get the same answer that we will see on the 28th."

No comments: