Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Flooded Streets and Surprises January 5, 2009

P Day we played soccer and volleyball as a zone and then my companion and I went to central to buy some cool stuff. On the way there we passed a shoe store, inside the shoe store there was a women without a shirt on, but that was not all she didn’t have a bra on either. That was a little bit of culture shock for me I have to admit.
Elder Torrejon bought a backscratcher and I bought this thing that hangs on the wall and says "Feliz AAO Nuevo Pucallpa". It is awesome

Tuesday it rained like crazy. I like it when it rains for two reasons. One because it is not as hot and the other is the people feel bad for us and let us in their houses. This time of year is kinda bad here because of all the drinking. Here is an example, we have taught a lady named Noami and her children. They sell beer and it is really distracting when you have drunk people outside. Everyone is getting drunk.

Wednesday we sent Pol, one of the members of the bishopric to buy fireworks for us tonight. We gave him thirty soles, some of the fireworks he bought looked like they were homemade. I am sure some of them were. He bought one that was really cool but pretty illegal in Utah.
We had to be at our house not later than 8 pm. It was hard to find people home. We found a few and spent a little time with some members. We went to bed at 10:30 pm. We set our alarm for five minutes to midnight so we could light our fireworks. It was fun but I felt the effects of it the next day even though it was only like 20 minutes.

Thursday we only went to member’s homes because a lot of people were sleeping and drunk. and all that not so good stuff. Loud music is a distraction too and almost every street has a bar type place, so every street has drunks.

Friday it rained again but not as bad as Tuesday. People are starting to go back to work and there are not as many drunks. Holidays and weekends are their drinking days.

I think my Spanish is getting better everyday. Well I hope it is.

I found out that I am staying and my companion is leaving to Lima because he is going to die, which means he is ending his mission this month. I am kinda bummed that he is leaving but I think I will survive. My new Companion is Elder Garnica from Bolivia and he will be senior companion. I don’t think I am ready to be senior. For the first few days I will act as senior until he gets to know the area. Elder Layton is also staying and his companion is leaving.

We started our fast on Saturday, I was very tempted by all the goodies in the fridge, but I made it. The president said that we are able to drink water if we need to. At first I thought it was weird but now I think I would die if I didn’t.

It didn’t start raining on Sunday until about 8:30 while we were walking home from the bishop’s house. It was raining so hard that the street we were walking down was flooded. The water was almost to our knees. It was actually kind of fun. Suddenly something horrible happened. I fell into a big hole that I didn’t see because of all the water. The water was up to my chest and it smelled really bad. It was so bad that when I got home I took off my clothes and showered really well. It was a septic thing that I fell in. It was funny but really stunk.
love you all mucho (tons) love elder Hyde

No comments: